Saturday, September 28, 2013

Bed rest...boo!

I went to my routine baby appointment on Thursday after school.  The nurse took my blood pressure and was concerned because the bottom number was a lot higher than it should be, so she had me lay on my side for ten minutes and then came back to check it again. It was still too high...grrrrr. When Dr. Allen came in she listened to Emmy's heartbeat (which sounded perfect) and measured my bump. It measured 35 centimeters which is exactly what it had been the week before.  It should measure 37 since I'm  37 weeks. She was worried that Emmy might not be growing like she should, which freaked me out. So we headed to the sonogram room to check everything out. I got to see her again so that was neat, and I breathed a huge sigh of relief when Dr. Allen told me she measured right on target. She's on the smaller side, weighing in at 6 pounds 5 ounces, but she's in the normal range. Phew!

Just as I'm beginning to think I'm in the clear, Dr. Allen tells me that she wants me to go next door to labor and delivery to get some tests run because she is still concerned about my blood pressure.  I drove myself to the hospital and was taken upstairs and hooked up to a fetal heart rate monitor.  (Which was pretty neat, I got to listen to her heartbeat for an hour!) They took my blood and hooked me up to a blood pressure machine...and I waited for the results.  If those hospital pillows weren't so flat I would have passed right out! Finally, the nurse came back and told me that I was good to go home but that I needed to stop working immediately.  Excuse me?!? I had no plans in order! I didn't even get to say bye to my kiddos! Thank God for my super hero 4th grade team at school for taking over for me.  They are the absolute best.

As soon as I was able to wrap my mind around the fact that I was officially on bed rest, the nurse says that I need to keep my Tuesday appointment with Dr. Allen...and that she's planning on inducing me on Wednesday! I think my jaw hit the floor. It took me by complete surprise!

On Tuesday we'll know more, but as of right now the plan is for me to be induced on Wednesday.  I'm really hoping that being on bed rest will help my BP come down and we can wait a little longer, but we'll see.

Prayers would be appreciated!

1 comment: